Wednesday 13 February 2013

WOYWW - Silhouette Cameo

This post is part of a weekly sharing of what is on your workspace.  Only this time it is not MY workspace but a good friends. You see
I have ordered a Silhouette Cameo machine and it is on it's way from the States.  Meanwhile, my friend told me she had one still in it's box unopened so she invited me over to experiment.  We both have die cutting machines already, but found ourselves frustrated and disillusioned to the point that they sit unused. 
 
A bit of moral support was much needed! 
 
Though tinged with apprehension I was also feeling excited, because I know two people who recently bought Silhouette Cameo's. They speak highly of the machine and I have seen what they produced.  They did not talk about frustration... or wanting to throw the machine out of the window, so I turned up at my friend's with hope and enthusiasm. 
 
After lots of chat and coffee, we started to unwrap the box.  Can you believe this machine has sat in it's wrapping since 11.11.11!
 
But I understand why....  after a bad experience it can feel daunting to start over with a new machine. So it was good to have someone to do this with.  

  
Our first attempt was unsuccessful.
So we experimented with depth of blade and thickness of cardstock, and it wasn't too long before we had a result to be proud of!   

 
With confidence growing we decided to experiment with 'print and cut'.  We used one of the images that comes with the machine and  downloaded a YouTube video to guide us. Our second attempt had us happy dancing, and by now our confidence was soaring... 


So we decided to use a digikit and an imagine copied from Google Images. I didn't take photos of these, but I will be using them in projects over the next day or two, so I will post these next time.
 
  Now I really can't wait for my machine to arrive! 
 
I have started a new album on Pinterest for the Silhouette Cameo and no doubt my workspace will be busy over the coming weeks trying out new ideas and starting new projects.  And my friend and I will certainly be meeting up again to share ideas and learning.  Do you have a Cameo?  I'd love to hear any tips or ways you use your machine. 

And over at Julia's you can find out what other people have on their workspace today.

14 comments:

  1. So happy that you have perservered and got a great result. I bought the sizzix eclips and I understand that it has similar results. All I know is that I love it to the end of the world, I don't always get a perfect cut but when I set it right I do. Happy happy enjoyment of it when it arrives and be sure to show us how you get on :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perseverance reigns! Glad you like your new machine. It helps to get an honest opinion. Happy WOYWW! Karen 86 x

    ReplyDelete
  3. So Lovely that you and your friend got together and its going well :0)
    I do not have a cutting machine (only in my Dreams) x
    Hope lots of people share advice and experience with you though.
    Happy WOYWW Heather # 62

    ReplyDelete
  4. what fun!! I hope you enjoy your new toy and I'm looking forward to seeing your creations. Does it come with a sticky mat? That is what I hate about my Cricut. Maybe they have improved the cutting system

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does come with a sticky mat, Moira. The first sheet we cut was on bassil card and the top layer came off leaving the bottom stuck to the mat. We tried a different card and had a perfect result after testing the blade depth etc. I think it will be trial and error initially but we were pleased with what we achieved in just a few hours.

      Delete
  5. I am so happy that your machine did what it is ment to do, dissapointing when things don't go the way you want them too. Your machine looks a treat and the results amazing, Ihave only herd good things about them. Sorry I don't have any advice I don't have one.

    Good luck
    Eliza
    Happy WOYWW

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had noticed you pinning lots Sandie and now I know why!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have fun with your machine and I look forward to seeing your achievements over the coming months
    Jackie3

    ReplyDelete
  8. How wonderful to have a friend close by to learn with! I have a pazzles, it was my second machine. Thank goodness, this machine did not fluster me. I hear wonderful things about the machine you purchased. Love the cut and print!

    Hope you had the best Valentines day,

    Hugs, Robin 107

    ReplyDelete
  9. Friends rule! Facing the unknown together is when the magic happens! That's great that you've mastered the machine; and even before you've received yours. Can't wait to see what else you do with it!

    Happy WOYWW
    Hugs,
    Kay #125

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't have a Cameo but you are stimulating my interest with your enthusiasm and pleasure! It looks so versatile ...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know you will love your Cameo when you get it. :-) April #119

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad you are excited about the arrival of your Cameo, Sandie!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...