Wednesday 5 February 2014

5 in 5 - February 2014 - CURRY NIGHT

Welcome to '5 in 5' where on the 5th of
each month I post 5 photos that I have
taken in 5 minutes. 


 
Do you like curry?  We do. Vegetable, chicken, beef, prawn. You name it, we like it. We have a number of curry recipe books and for the past 2 years there has been a monthly box that arrives by post on our doorstep. A thoughtful gift from our children. Inside there are all the spices you need and the recipe for a complete meal including side dishes. It has become a regular routine for my son and husband to take over the kitchen and cook together. They have discovered skills and techniques they didn't know existed and there is lots of chopping and preparation, as well as laughter. They can be in the kitchen for hours and it is something they have grown to enjoy and look forward to.  
 
But not every curry is such effort. No, we probably have a curry at least once a week and we have a cupboard full of spices. We love experimenting and cooking from scratch and we have lots of recipes that are quick and easy to do.
 
 
And this evening I came home from work to a wonderful smell greeting me as I opened the door.  On the kitchen worktop a recipe book is open and onions are cooking in the pan.

 

There are spices and fresh lemon, and I look forward to another curry night. 
 
 

  
 
There are other things I like about curry too, such as the names of the spices we use: coriander, cumin, ginger, turmeric, fenugreek, fennel, chilli, garam masala, cloves, cinnamon, cardamom, mustard seed, and cloves. Each has its own distinct flavour and character and I love grinding seeds in the morter or watching mustard seeds sizzle and pop in hot oil. Every action is part of an enjoyable process. 
 
But right now the rice is nearly cooked and nann bread is ready to be warmed. I had better go and help....
 


Thank you for popping by and to everyone who has taken part in this monthly challenge.  I really look forward to seeing your photos and I hope you are inspired to get out your camera and join in. Here is the plan:

1.  Choose a location.

2.  Have your camera ready.

3.  Set a mobile timer for 5 minutes.

4.  Take as many photos you can until the time is up.

5.  Choose 5 photos to download and share by using the link tool.
   You have until the 25th of the month to add your photos. 

 

If you want to know more there are details here.


And one more thing - when you use the link tool, please click on your post title.  This will show the web address. Please right click, copy and paste this as your link.  This will take readers directly to your '5 in 5' blog page and be easier for them to find.

  

Thank you to those who have taken part so far. I have loved seeing your photos and hope you will be back with more. 

And don't forget, you have until 25th to post your link!

10 comments:

  1. Yum. I like curry too! I hope one day to find the time to join you on 5 in 5! M x

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love curries, too, but I'm afraid we are rather lazy, and just use the jars that we buy from the supermarkets. Thanks for your lovely post, I'm feeling quite peckish and can almost smell the various spicy aromas.
    Joy x x

    ReplyDelete
  3. what an impressive array of spices you have Sandie. We like the occasional curry but it has to be mild for me to eat it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. we had great curry on Friday but it came from our local restaurant the Raj Doot! Not made a curry for a while but your description made my mouth water... love the idea of the monthly curry box too

    ReplyDelete
  5. We like curry too, but I'm going to make you laugh by telling you that our happiest curry moment recently was when we discovered a place still selling those 1970's style Vesta pack Beef curries. As a child, I loved that stuff, so we bought a box and it was great. A real trip down memory lane rather than a culinary triumph!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh that is a blast from the past Sian! I didn't realise you can still buy Vesta packs, I remember them well. We used to like those too and they were especially useful when we went camping.
      I remember when we were young and single and my to-be mother in law left meals and instructions for while she was holiday. I remember Vesta packs were included! Thank you for the reminder.

      Delete
  6. I'd say 5 snaps pretty much told the story. Curry is not such a big thing over here, and I'm okay with that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your spice cupboard is seriously impressive, and your photo of the lemon with the dark background very striking. Oh, and I remember Vesta curries too :).

    ReplyDelete
  8. My father used to love a vesta curry! what a great memory. I love the photo of the lemon too and yes we like a curry. Great 5in5

    ReplyDelete
  9. That curry sounds delicious! I love curry too but never cook it as my son, like yours loves to cook curry.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...